help desk specialist
Location: Oxford, OH
HELP DESK SPECIALIST
- Provide Tier II support for faculty, staff, and students by solving escalated Incidents through direct knowledge and through consulting with Subject Matter Experts.
- As needed, assist in provide Tier I support by answering calls coming into the call center and e-mail requests related to their use of supported software and services, retaining ownership until problem is resolved.
- Communicate with the end user to ascertain quality of service and support issues.
- Utilize appropriate Help Desk tools and applications.
- Develop and document resolutions or workarounds for Incidents that lack a documented resolution or workaround in the Known Error Database and submit them for approval and publishing; able to manage the entire life-cycle of an Incident or Outage; work to obtain expertise and SME status in one or more Business Services.
- Apply principles and processes of service levels to work; identify/highlight service problems; seek to improve quality of service levels.
- Build positive working relationships with other Support Desk and IT staff; develop a working knowledge of the roles other staff play and share information openly about own role; work collaboratively.
- Write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; get messages across that instigate appropriate actions.
- Identify symptoms and break problems into distinct and manageable parts; analyze and interpret root causes associated with a given problem; look at problems from other perspectives; seek other resources/expertise to define solutions; assist in solving intra-team problems.
- Support end users in Release transition; identify and correct weaknesses within Release documentation; encourage and coach others to prepare for Release.
- Analyze and summarize the impact of new processes and technologies in the organization; develop communication materials that build awareness and understanding of future changes in processes and technologies.
- Supervise Support Desk student staff as required by the IT Call Center Manager.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
- Associate’s degree in a related field by date of hire.
- 2+ years experience in client computing support in a networked environment.
- Basic experience (1+ years) working with Microsoft Windows related products in a computer support environment.
- Basic experience (1+ years) working with Mac/Apple related products in a computer support environment.